Sunday 30 March 2008

Bristol Rose Recruits New Crew - Monitor Windvane

“Shorthanded crews don’t steer offshore. Before we got our wind-vane, we had no self-steering on one passage after our electric pilot failed. That passage lasted three days - but it seemed like three weeks!” Beth Leonard, The Voyager’s Handbook. 


I can relate to Beth’s experience. Our first sailboat, Sandpiper was not fitted with self-steering and even on an 8 hr journey up the bay I found myself often looking for someone else to take the helm for a break.

“Many cruisers augment their steering with wind-vane self-steering. There is no question that the servo-pendulum type is the most effective. I would not consider any other type for offshore work” Nigel Calder’s Cruising Handbook. 

Bristol Rose is fitted with a top quality Simrad Robertson AP 22 Autopilot which works great.  The Autopilot is a drain on the 12 Volt power system and that is a concern on an ocean passage under sail. I wouldn't want to run the engine to compensate.




After some months of consideration I have ordered a Monitor Self Steering Windvane from Kopi from Scanmar International. Jay from Annapolis Rigging will fit it.

I selected Monitor for a number of reasons: 
  1. The design is well proven, the first Monitor was made in 1975
  2. The Monitor design seems to be the least intrusive, I really liked the Cape Horn but fitting it to a Shannon 43 looks difficult.
  3. A number of Shannon 43's have Monitor Windvanes fitted, so I know it will work.

  1. Photo courtesy of Scanmar International

I can’t say I am overly excited about having a Windvane fitted to Bristol Rose. I love her classic lines and the wine-glass transom. Any windvane will change the way she looks, but then again Bristol Rose is a cruising sailboat and the design will accommodate a windvane. Having thought through the process of fitting a stainless steel contraption to the stern I am now looking forward to introducing myself to the Monitor over the summer. Who knows I may even weaken, like so many other cruisers, and give the new crew member a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.